Wednesday, August 14, 2013

To Inspire

Let me first say that this post is being written outside under my pergola by the fire on a beautiful starry night. It really doesn't get much better than this. Now that I've set the scene, I shall begin.

A dear friend of mine recently suggested that I should write about the most inspirational person I know. I loved this idea so much. I've been racking my brain all day thinking of all the people who have inspired me over the years. Of course there's my mom...the strongest, most beautiful and selfless person I know. Then there is my friend Cody, who finds adventure down every road and fearlessly chases it. But then there are a few of my favorite professors, who are brilliant, well-spoken, and challenge me to learn and work with integrity and resiliency. And then of course, leaders in the church, in the work force, and other people I've encountered.

You see my dilemma. What is a girl to do when she's been blessed with countless sources of inspiration? How can I choose just one person?

So I'm breaking the rules. Instead of choosing one inspirational person, I'm making a list (shocker) of qualities I've encountered over the years that have inspired me. But first, I had to look up the true definition of inspire. Merriam-Webster defines this beautiful verb as follows:
  • To influence, move, or guide by divine or supernatural inspiration
  • To exert an animating, enlivening, or exalting influence on
  • To spur on
  • To affect

Let me pause right here to insert one of my favorite scriptures. I was blessed to share this scripture with 7 of the most inspirational people I know -- my Eastside staff. 


If this doesn't sum up the definition of "inspire", I don't know what does.


Anyway, understanding what it means to inspire and be inspired, I have been able to come up with a pretty solid list of the most inspirational qualities that come from an assortment of lovely human beings. 

  1. I'm inspired by those who look on the bright side of life; those who see the glass half full and delight when life hands them lemons. More and more, these people are hard to come by.
  2. To the people who understand the concept of hard work, God bless you. I feel frightened to be part of a generation of entitlement, but I'm inspired by the people who chuck entitlement out the window and know how to get their hands dirty.
  3. I'm inspired by people who are using their talents to glorify the Kingdom of God. Every single person is blessed with God-given talents and gifts. It saddens me when people bury these treasures and let them waste away, but when people are using their gifts to benefit others, it is beautiful.
  4. I am filled with inspiration when I see people doing the right thing when they don't think anyone notices. Integrity is the most admirable quality I can think of, and when people choose to have integrity, it inspires me to live likewise.
  5. My heart is at it's happiest when I see a father being a good daddy. My dad was one of the most inspiring people in my life, and even now that he is gone, I have had so many father-figures step into my life to continue spurring me on. I am thankful for the men who rise up and assume the fatherly role as if it is their only calling in life.  
  6. I am inspired by every single person who has ever told me, "Yes." With every "Yes," I took another step forward; I believed in myself a little bit more, all the while knowing they believed in me as well.
  7. Inspiration comes to me when I see people fearlessly stumble into adventure. I don't think we need to know exactly where we're going to be headed somewhere great. This then allows me to stumble into adventure as well.
  8. Fewer things are as inspiring as seeing someone admit when he is wrong. What a foreign concept it is to admit failure and hang up our cleats in this passtime we call life. It is such a humbling experience to be wrong. In my opinion, owning up to defeat is one of the quickest ways rise to the top again. 
  9. To the learners out there, you inspire me. I love when I see people continuing their education in some way or another. Whether it be going to graduate school, mastering a certain craft, or even reading the newspaper every day, it is so important to extend our pool of knowledge in order to grow. A lack of learning leads to small-mindedness and ignorance.
  10. I am inspired when people refuse to settle for ordinary, but instead, wake up each day with wide eyes ready to soak in what the universe may have for them. I find that it is these people who can truly accept the broken, the sick, and the weary. These people have such an extraordinary source of strength and energy that it overflows and blesses people in their path.
There you have it, friends. I am 100% confident in saying that you, in some way, have inspired me. I pray that God blesses each of you as you continue to inspire.

xo,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment