Today marks 8 years since the greatest man I've ever known went to be with the Lord. My dad was a goofy, talented, adventurous, slightly nerdy, and inspirational man. He used his time wisely and taught me so much about life. Somehow, though he is gone, I continue to learn from him.
Some things he's taught me...
- Knowing how to build a fire is a necessary life skill.
- It is important to have a photographic memory just in case my camera batteries aren't charged...if only he could have imagined the iPhone :)
- It's one thing to believe in God. It's an entirely different thing to be in constant pursuit of the Creator.
- Music can often shorten the distance between the head and the heart and help things make sense.
- Never stop learning.
- There is magic in dreaming big.
- Voice impressions are absolutely essential and hilarious in everyday life.
- Always do right by everyone.
- Life is a marathon, not a sprint...pace yourself.
- Classical music and NPR are two of my favorite things, unbeknownst to me as a child.
- Listening is an art form that is valued more than telling a great story. "Katie, take a breath." (I talked quite a bit... :)
- Accountability and mentorship are essential to personal and spiritual growth.
- True creativity can be rare, but beautiful.
- Joy is a constant source of strength and unwavering confidence in the Lord's provision and faithfulness. It is something that can never be stolen because nobody can steal something inside of you unless you give it away.
The older I get, the more I understand the wisdom he imparted while I was growing up. He exemplified Godly living and loving people well. I am forever grateful for the wisdom, drive, and enthusiasm my father instilled in me, and for the way my family has been shaped and strengthened in more ways than I could have imagined.
xo,
Katie



No comments:
Post a Comment