Saturday, May 18, 2013

Journeying East

Hello, Eastern Ohio...nice to meet you.

I decided in February that I wanted to live with my grandmother for the summer. I knew this move was atypical for me, but it felt right. I'm used to spending my summers working and taking summer classes. This summer involves none of the above. My grandma lives alone, and joining her for the summer seemed so right. I'm looking forward to spending time with her, helping her organize various rooms in her house, cooking with her, and getting to do life together for a short time. 




I feel so lucky to be surrounded by such great people this summer. I will get to hang out with the fabulous Kelly Myers, occasionally see Noelle when she visits her brother, get to know the people of First Friends Church (along with the pastor, Stan, who was my dad's best man), and...drum roll please. Spencer is living in Canton for the summer! His company assigned him here for the summer, so I will get to spend time with him. 

I helped Spenc move into his new apartment and he experienced the famous Milk & Honey






I've been here for nearly a week, and the summer is off to a good start. Grandma and I organized her cupboards and a few shelves in the basement. For some reason, things like this energize me so much. If cleaning kitchens was a spiritual gift, I'm pretty sure I'd have it. 


Organization in progress
After


Such a refreshing sight


Don't worry, I've been doing much more than organizing. I've also been cooking...a lot. So far, the best meal has been Baha Citrus Tilapia topped with mango pico de gallo, asparagus, and rice.



 
Finally, I got to hit up this Canton favorite the other day. It just so happens to be the place my parents had their first date.










I'm enjoying my time here. I'm looking forward to getting together with Kelly next week, along with some people from church. As always, seeking adventure.

xo,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment