Monday, May 13, 2013

Home Sweet Home with a Side of Nostalgia

"Home is where the heart is..."

At least that's what I've always been told. I know so many people who graduate high school and can't wait to leave town. I, on the other hand, love going back to the place that raised me. I'm one of those kids who sort of grew up on the side of the road. Everybody knew everybody, and I was all right with that. 

As silly as it sounds, the memories I have from growing up in that small town have a strange way of coming to life as soon as I get off the highway and turn on to Main Street. On the short drive to my house alone, I'm slammed with the memories of sidewalk chalking the Whippy Dip with my best friend, my first kiss, Friday night lights, the Bluffton Hospital parking lot flooded with people the night my dad died, painting the street with the rest of my senior class, my first real heartbreak, the heat of the lights hitting my face during countless performances on stage, and many other flashbacks.

A shot of the town during the annual Craft Show     Photo Credit: Mark Yoder

This beautiful town holds a piece of my heart in a way I never thought possible. Growing up here has taught me to practice authenticity, stand up for what I believe in, and extend hospitality. I've learned to say what I need to say, but perhaps the better lesson was learning when to keep my mouth shut. I've learned that being judgmental is unbecoming. And finally, I've learned that the kindness, love, and countless prayers received from the incredible people in this town mean more to me than I could ever express. I am so thankful that I will always know my way back home. 

Some highlights from being home:

UNPACKING. It seems odd that unloading all the stuff I just piled into my car would be a highlight, but I really do love to organize. Unpacking occupied a couple days along with LOTS of sleep. It was great to catch up on all the sleep I'd been missing during the last few weeks of school.

Visiting Kaite...my best friend going on 6 years. I went to stay with her in Bowling Green for a night and we got into some crazy shenanigans (as usual). In short, we crashed a graduation ceremony for BGSU. We sneaked into the commencement, cheered like crazy for people we've never met, and took off running to leave the auditorium with all the graduates.

Kaite and I in a SEA of graduates
Kaite and her friend Tyler who graduated



















I went to a bonfire and got to catch up with some of my friends from high school. The older we get, the easier it is to relate to them. I always feared we would grow apart, but I am thankful that is not the case.

I had coffee with my favorite cousin, Austin. SPOILER ALERT: He's not really my cousin. We've been telling that lie to people since the 6th grade. Even though we're not blood related, he has been such a great friend to me over the years. I'm thankful for his easy-going personality and the way we relate to one another. 

I watched a LOT of NCIS with my mom and sister. I'm embarrassed to admit how many episodes I got through. Spending time with the two of them was great, though. We also got to meet up with my brother for Mother's Day. And of course, a lot of time was spent with my three wild dogs as well.

I started this blog! Fingers crossed that I keep it up.

I was finally able to experience true, honest to goodness closure. I've learned over the years that closure is hard to come by if you aren't willing to say goodbye. I am thankful for there being good in goodbye. 

Finally, I had a most excellent sushi date with my friend Amber! Sushi is my all-time favorite food and it was a perfect way to end my time at home. Amber and I don't get to see one another very often, so it was great to catch up. 



I'll be leaving for my Grandma's house soon. I'm excited for what this summer has in store.

xo,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment